Sunday, November 26, 2006

10 Years

This past Friday was my 10 year high school reunion. I'll spare you the details - suffice it to say that some people were fatter and/or balder than they were 10 years ago, but there were no major shocks or surprises. A signicant number of my classmates were either doctors, lawyers, or bankers, with a few aspiring actors thrown into the mix.

The whole event though got me thinking again along the same lines that I've been mentally writing for the past year or so - I think my generation really dropped the ball. In particular, I'm thinking about the people who I grew up with - mostly priveleged, intelligent kids who went on to some of the best colleges and universities in the country. We should have been the cream of the crop. Yet, somehow, it didn't seem to turn out that way. I think that somewhere along the line we all collectively lost our drive. Maybe it's the fact that everything was always provided for us by our parents. Maybe it's because our elite secondary institutions coddled us too much, or let us slip through the cracks, finding half-assed work acceptable enough for a grade-inflated B. Whatever the reason, I'm disappointed, in my generation and in myself.

This is why I sometimes feel like I need a vacation from life for a while - not to escape, or to be lazy, but to regain that drive that I know I once had. I used to love to win; now I hardly feel like playing the game.

1 comment:

Andrew said...

Hey-- I resemble that remark.

But what is the metric of success? How do you measure it? What's the yardstick to aspire to?

However, to a large extent I agree with you. After all, I'm pretty damn lazy. I have a long list of projects that I'm barely working on, but not getting to, because of, well, being lazy. And I'd love to have a few months to focus on one or more, but without the financial resources to do that, how do you create more time? But then, I don't know if my projects are really "cream of the crop" material...