Monday, March 05, 2007

Study Time

A few months ago, in a fit of frustration about the apparent lack of traction I was feeling along my career path, I decided to sign up for the CFA exam. Despite a warning from my boss that the CFA is "the hardest test you'll ever take" and various foreboding sodomy-related similies, I decided to take the plunge. Right now, sitting on the shelves above my desk, are about 40 pounds of textbook that must be read, comprehended, and fully regurgitatable by the first weekend in June.

Clearly I must have been out of my mind when I came up with this bright idea. The sheer volume of material that must be learned is staggering. That said, none of it seems to be particularly difficult, and a good deal of it, particularly the economics and statistics sections, are primarily review. Nonetheless, reading 3500 pages of dense, poorly written, uninteresting financial text in a span of about 3 months is not my idea of a fun time. In fact, it really sucks. (Especially the accounting part - I hate accounting, and it's the largest section of the test.)

I'm sure I'll have more to say as we get closer to crunch time, but I'm already feeling the pressure. I signed up for a 3-day cram session at the end of April, which will hopefully be enough to get me past this thing.

1 comment:

Hope Reality and Purpose said...

Man....I feel you to the last letter. I also signed up for the CFA Level 1 in June. Its really hectic but i know i can see through it. im Currently at the FSA (its kinda booooring but its aight)... All the very best as you prepare for the exam