Tuesday, April 26, 2005

Registered

So, I've officially passed all three of the exams I needed to take in order to keep my new job and actually start trading. Major pain in the ass, but it's done. I now can stick Series 7, 63, and 55 on my resume. I also, technically, am now a licensed stockbroker. No, I do not have any intention of actually acting on this, but I suppose it's kind of cool to knowthat I could if I wanted. Of course, the drawback is that until I leave the industry, all my financial information has to be sent to my employer on a regular basis so I can be observed and surveilled in case I might choose to trade on insider information. Basically, it's a minor inconvenience.

Finishing these tests also now gives me the time to start going back to the gym. I stepped foot inside the Cornell Club yesterday for the first time in over 4 weeks, and I definitely felt that workout today. I went back for more punishment this afternoon, and I plan on going at least twice more this week. After over a year of consistent exercising, I hit a big plateau not long ago. Hopefully, this month off will re-energize me.

I kept kosher for Passover for about 2.5 days this year, which is pretty impressive for me. I even went out last night and bought a whole bunch of food that I could cook so I could try and last the whole week. But, lunchtime rolled around today and I was way too hungry for a salad, and the entrees at the cafeteria looked dreadful. Sandwich it is. OK, perhaps the ham and cheese was pushing it a little, but it's not as bad as leaving a seder and going straight to Hot Truck, so I suppose it could have been worse. OK, maybe not by much.

Although the first seder was, as usual, hosted by my parents in NJ, I was invited down to Livingston for the second night at Lauren's parents' house. I was pretty worried it would be awkward - I hadn't seen them in around 4 years, and Lauren hasn't really said anything to them about us being together again. Surprisingly, everything went great. I felt like nothing had changed, and that I fit right back in as usual. The only difference was that their dog wasn't running around under the table. (Apparently, he died a few years ago.) More about Lauren another time, but I'll leave it at this - I'm really happy again.

I know this post was pretty crappy, but I'm tired and totally unfocused. I haven't had much energy to write recently, so I figure it's better to put something down on paper when I feel the urge, rather than wait for inspiration to strike and not write anything for another month,

No comments: