Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Another Follow Up

I finally got in touch with the hedge fund guy. Even though he wanted the project done a week ago Monday, he won't be able to actually meet with me again until a week from this coming Wednesday. It is apparent to me that either: a) he's not really interested in hiring me, because if he were, he'd be a lot more motivated about getting me back into the office; or b) he's so disorganized and scatterbrained that I don't want to work for him. Right now I'm thinking it's a little of both, but probably leaning more towards column a). However, at this point, I don't think I'm particularly interested in working for him either. If he were to give me an offer, which I'm really not expecting right now, I'd have to think long and hard about it before accepting.

In a totally unrelated point, 2Q is officially over. Performance of the equity markets for the year has been pretty lackluster, with a few standout areas. I'll have a full breakdown up here in a day or two, but so far it looks like if you weren't in oil stocks, gold stocks, or tranportation, you probably didn't have much success as an indexer. As my father said to me last night, this is a stock picker's market. If you're good at finding hidden value, (or just plain lucky,) you could have had a decent start to the year. If not, well, there's still 6 more months to go.

No comments: