Thursday, March 17, 2005

Interview III

The past few days have been nothing short of surreal. At times I've had to take a big mental step backwards in order to clear my head and remind myself of where I am, and where I'm going.

I quit my job on Wednesday. Monday evening I got a callback from company xxxxxxx again, asking me to come in on Tuesday after work in order to meet again with the HR director. Kind of surprising, since I had expected to meet with a few more people there before any decisions were made. In fact, I was more than a little concerned that this meeting had something to do with my possible arbitration situation. However, I was pleasantly surprised with a brief meeting in which an offer sheet was presented. With very generous terms, I might add.

Since I've told my people at the AMEX that I'm leaving, I've been almost in a daze at work. There's even less for me to do there than there had been in weeks past, which gives me plenty of time to contemplate the idea of not working there anymore. It's still not quite all sunk in. I WILL NOT WORK AT THE AMEX ANYMORE. I'm not going to be one of those guys in the funny colored jackets yelling at each other. I'm not going to be a member of a stock exchange.

It's really interesting how your occupation essentially defines who you are. Whenever you're introduced to someone, the topic of occupation comes up almost always within the first five to ten minutes. Even if you're unemployed, you mention the industry you're hoping to work in, or whatever your last job was. Right now, I'm between jobs. I don't "work" for anyone right now. I'm in limbo until I start my new career. It's been stressful at times - I can't really explain why, but I've felt a lot of pressure suddenly. I really wish things would move along, and I could settle in to the new job as quickly as possible.

Instead, I'm going on vacation. I booked a flight to Florida for Sunday, and I'm looking forward to sitting by the pool and relaxing. I have plenty of reading material, seeing as I need to pass the Series 7 nearly immediately. I went uptown to the new office this afternoon and picked up ten pounds of review course material, which I will soon add to my collection of Large Binders I Will Never Open Again After The Test.

That bookshelf really needs reinforcing.

2 comments:

SmallWonder said...

Congratulations on your new job Jasey!
How come you always vacation in Florida? Go elsewhere!

sonsi said...

congratulations on the new job and big life changes. how exciting. but do you really always vacation in florida? i agree with a. - try a new place.

anyway, today is my "leave a comment on the blogs i read" day. also, by coincidence, tonight i am most likely cooking that one recipe that i always attribute to you :).. beef lo mein. i will use it in a happy dinner diary (with proper credit, of course), if you don't mind. when i update it, i mean.